Featured Image by Moerschel, Will. Nicecream Mountain. PNG. Jun 2021.
Summer is finally here! And along with it a heatwave that doesn’t seem to end anytime soon. This means long, extremely hot days that call for chilly sweet summer treats to cool down. We’ve got you covered with these refreshing healthy desserts guaranteed to keep you cool and satisfied in the sunshine.
Banana Nicecream Recipe
Believe it or not, you can create a healthier, easier to make version of ice cream that tastes just as good. Nicecream is a vegan ice cream usually made with frozen bananas and a high speed blender. Bananas make for a creamy sweet treat sure to satisfy those summer ice-cream cravings in a healthier way.
Moerschel, Will. Nicecream. JPG. Jun 2021.
Vegan Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Banana Nicecream
Author: Audrey Madison Total Time: 20 minutes Difficulty: Easy
- 4 ripe frozen bananas
- 1/4 Nut Milk (any milk or milk alternative will work)
- Any topping your heart desires
- Peanut Butter Cookie Dough
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 2 tablespoons natural peanut butter (any nut butter will work)
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Fair Trade Certified dark chocolate chips
Instructions: For the Cookie Dough:
- Pulse quick oats in a food processor for four minutes or until they are the texture of flour.
- In a bowl, combine peanut butter, salt, syrup, and vanilla. Whisk until light and creamy, about 3 minutes.
- Slowly stir the oat flour and dark chocolate chips into the peanut butter mixture until the batter leaves the sides of the bowl and forms a large dough ball.
- Gently roll small sections into dime-sized balls. When you’re done, you should have 15-20 delicious cookie dough balls.
- Let them set in the fridge for at least an hour, or the freezer for a half hour.
For the Nicecream:
- In a high-speed blender, blend frozen bananas with your favorite nut milk for 5-10 minutes depending on the power of your blender.
- Spoon contents into a bowl and fold in peanut butter cookie dough balls. Add whatever toppings you like whether it be fresh fruit, nuts, or seeds.
Tips For Perfect Vegan Peanut Butter Cookie Dough
- If the peanut butter you’re using is salted, use half the amount of salt to avoid the cookie dough from getting too salty.
- The finer the oat flour, the smoother and creamier the cookie dough.
- Try to use local ingredients from your farmers market or co-op.
Image: Moerschel, Will. Nicecream Recipe. JPG. Jun 2021.
Tips For Perfect Nicecream
- If your blender isn’t super powerful, but you want to achieve the thick creamy texture of ice cream, let the frozen bananas soften for five minutes before blending.
- The more ripe your bananas are, the sweeter your nicecream will be.
- The key to thick and creamy banana nice cream is avoiding putting too much liquid. Bepatient, especially if your blender isn’t super powerful. Moreover, use a spoon to help the blending process go a bit smoother (literally).
Refreshing Smoothie Recipe
Summer is the perfect season to indulge in some icy treats to keep you cool. This sweet smoothie with a hint of citrus will make you feel refreshed and ready for the day. You can make it yourself with just 6 healthy ingredients and have it for breakfast or dessert!
Dairy Free Mango-Strawberry-Lime Smoothie
Author: Sadie Zollinger Total Time: 10 minutes Difficulty: Easy
- 2 cups mango chunks (fresh or frozen)
- 1 lime
- 5 large strawberries
- 1 cup almond or oat milk
- 1/2 cup crushed ice
- 2 tablespoons non-dairy greek yogurt
- Add the mango chunks and crushed ice to the blender. Cover and pulse until mango chunks are in smaller pieces
- Slice strawberries into quarters, removing the leaves, until you have about 1 cup of strawberry chunks. Add to the blender
- Slice your lime in half and squeeze the juice from both halves into the blender
- Add the remaining ingredients to your blender. Blend until smooth, typically less than two minutes.
- Pour into glasses and garnish the tops with lime zest or a lime wedge. Enjoy!
Helpful Smoothie Tips:
- If you do not have crushed ice, place 3-4 ice cubes in a plastic sandwich bag and crush with a meat tenderizer
- If you prefer a thicker smoothie, reduce almond/oat milk to only 1/2 cup
Want to try some more smoothie recipes? Check out Healthy Smoothie Recipes to Kickstart Your Day!
These sweet summer treats are the perfect way to cool down after a hot summer day! They’re super quick and don’t require many ingredients. Plus, they are just as tasty as they are healthy. Savor the sweetness of summer and give these recipes a try!
Which Recipe Did You Decide To Try?
Let us know how it went and tag us on Instagram @ cookandculture