Image: Cardinale. Grace. Leftover Chicken Recipes Graphic. PNG. April. 2021
Short on time but still want to put a delicious meal on the table? I’m here to give you recipes for leftover chicken that are quick and easy. Leftover chicken of any kind is a fundamental ingredient with unlimited potential in the kitchen. These are also great recipes for the rotisserie chicken you aren’t sure what to do with. They are easily adaptable and you’ll be able to adjust them based on what you have on hand.
The Best Recipes For Leftover Chicken
Here are 10 recipes for leftover chicken, use them based on your personal taste and what it might already be seasoned with. These are terrific recipes for rotisserie chicken, grilled chicken, shredded chicken, roasted chicken, or another cut of chicken. These recipes are aimed towards saving you time, money, effort, and resolve a common household dilemma – food waste.
1. Chicken Tacos
2. Chicken Wraps
Wraps are incredibly versatile. In general, they only call for a few basic ingredients most of us already have at home. Add some sliced leftover chicken with a leafy green, a sauce or dressing, and cheese. Then, wrap it all up into your tortilla of choice and you have a full blown meal in under 30 minutes. Honestly, this is the poster child recipe for leftover chicken. For inspiration, these “chicken Pesto Wraps” from Epicurious are super tasty, only use 6 ingredients, and take under 10 minutes to make.
3. Chicken Curry
4. Chicken Fried Rice
5. Chicken Pasta
7. Healthy Grain Bowl with Chicken
8. Grilled Flatbread Pizza
9. Summer Rolls with Chicken
10. Salad with Leftover Chicken
At times, you might be looking for something light and nourishing. When figuring out what to do with leftover chicken, a salad works great as a side or meal. You can incorporate leftover chicken or shredded rotisserie chicken to your favorite leafy greens, healthy fats like nuts and seeds, and a dressing of choice for a super quick and nutritious meal. I use arugula with sharp cheddar cheese, avocado, rotisserie chicken, and toss with a vinaigrette dressing. Making a salad with leftover chicken is especially convenient if you also have lots of greens and cheese about to go bad.
Tips on Using Leftover Chicken Featuring Ari Laing
Avoid Recipes that Rely on Intense Flavor
Choose Recipes with Moisture
Adapt Your Recipe Based on the State of Your Chicken
Reheat Chicken with a Bit of Liquid
Use Chicken on the Bone
How Long Can You Keep Cooked Chicken in The Fridge?
In general, use your senses when determining how long cooked chicken lasts in the fridge. Inspect it for any unusual discoloration or a slimy film. Along with a visual inspection, smell leftover chicken to make sure it’s still safe to eat. If it smells rancid or very different from when you originally cooked it, you shouldn’t eat it.
How to Store Leftovers in the Fridge
- Keep your leftovers in an airtight container.
- To avoid leftovers from getting forgotten about, keep them in a designated place in the fridge that’s easy to see.
- Store leftovers in a clear container. This way, you’ll know exactly what you have on hand every time you open the fridge.
Food Safety and Chicken
- The temperature of cooked chicken should be 165 degrees fahrenheit (USDA).
- Leftovers that are being reheated should also be 165 degrees fahrenheit (USDA).
- Refrigerate cooked food within two hours of it being cooked.
- Raw chicken will last 1-2 days after being unwrapped (USDA).
- Keep raw meat separate from everything else you handle or cook to prevent cross-contamination.
- Always wash your hands after handling raw meat.
- If you plan on cooking chicken to meal prep for the week, check out this table for the approximate cooking times for each cut of meat you might be preparing.
- If you have chicken that’s about to go bad, store it in the freezer to prolong its life and avoid food waste. Here’s a guide on reheating frozen chicken from Love Food Hate Waste.
- If you need guidance on how to store food and drinks to optimize their life, check out the foodkeeper app. The app tells you how long the item in question is good for and how it should be stored.
Recipes For Leftover Chicken: The Bottom Line
Do you aspire to be less wasteful and more resourceful?
Try one of these recipes for leftover chicken as the perfect place to start.